Wednesday, January 20, 2010

New Year, New Post

Things have been chugging along for me quite smoothly. I've taken a step back to work on getting into a routine, and kind of settle into my job. At least, that's my excuse for not blogging or making games. Some notes:

  • The job at Quick Hit is going great. People ask me how I like the work, and I like it just fine. Sure, some of it is tedious, but it fits right into my mentality and the way I work. There's a checklist of tasks, and I do them until they're finished. If there's a problem, I figure out the circumstances behind it and try to fix it (or more often than not, go talk to the developers and have them fix it). The only downside is that it's a temp job (which means no paid time off) and it doesn't pay terribly well. I worked all through Christmas break to make up hours. I worked all last weekend to prepare for a release we're making this week, and will be working again this weekend for the release next week. But, I'm getting paid overtime, so I suppose it's not all bad.
  • Coming up next weekend is the Global Game Jam, which I'll be participating in again. Last year was a good time and I hope this year is just as good. There's a good chance I'll blog about it here again. It will be great to get back into creating and programming, even if it's only for a short while.
  • I have finally joined thousands of others and have gotten an iPhone. My old phone was really unreliable...could barely hold a charge, and I couldn't hear through the earpiece - I had to constantly use the speakerphone. Well, I don't have to worry about that any longer. It's really quite liberating to have access to the Internet pretty much anywhere that I go, and luckily I'm one of those types that doesn't have to constantly check my messages and Twitter so I get in trouble. I just check when I have a few free moments. ;)
  • And part of the reason I really wanted to get an iPhone is to develop games for it. It's the wave of the future! And now that the Unity engine is available for free, I bet I can actually do it, too. Of course, it's a matter of taking the time to sit down and actually learn how to do it, which is easier said than done. Still, it is my goal to make at least one iPhone game this year, and hopefully even maybe sell it in the App store.
  • I will be attending PAX East this March. This will likely be very awesome.
  • Speaking of board games, one that I play regularly, Heroclix, is back after a long hiatus. We're in the middle of the tournament season for the latest expansion, Hammer of Thor, which I'm actually helping to organize at the place where I play, Friendly Neighborhood Comics. Also exciting is the next set that will be out, DC's The Brave and the Bold, as well as a new, Blackest Night themed started set!
  • And segueing nicely into comics, my own comic has been in a hiatus as well. (See: the aforementioned "routine"). Well, just a quick note to say that I think I've gotten a good storyline worked out and I hope I can get back on that horse again soon.
So as you can see, it's not that I'm not staying busy; it's more that I'm just neglecting my website.

No comments:

Post a Comment